Sunday, June 5, 2011

Food Revolution

Have any of you seen Jamie Oliver and his TV show "Food Revolution?" I caught up on the first 3 episodes of the second season, and was so inspired. So much, in fact, that I decided to make a meal from recipes I found off of Jamie Oliver's website. He is a great chef, and a really inspirational guy. Plus, he's British, so he's really fun to listen to. Check out the show on Hulu if you haven't seen it!


Zach and I made three things for this meal. Barbecued chicken, cooked carrots, and braised greens.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/barbecued-chicken-1
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/carrots
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/braised-greens-usa-imperial-version

For the barbecued chicken, we whipped up a quick sauce. It has honey, dijon mustard, ketchup, ground chili pepper, paprika, olive oil, and orange zest. Zach received a cool set of graters for his birthday last week (Thanks grandma and grandpa!), and I have to say zesting that orange was the highlight of the meal! I have had to use a cheese grater in the past, and it's just not that easy! Then, I marinated the chicken, and Zach put it on the cast iron grill. Here's a picture of the sauce.


Meanwhile, the greens were ready to go into a pot of salted, boiling water. I think our greens were kale and chard. I have never cooked with them before, and it was surprisingly easy and fun.


After the greens boiled for about 5 minutes, in they went to a skillet and we added olive oil, garlic, and juice from half of a lemon. Sauteed it for 3 minutes, and it was perfect.


The carrots were super easy, too. They boiled for 10 minutes in water, with some sugar, rosemary and thyme, and butter. Then they went on a cookie sheet with a squeeze of orange, garlic cloves, and the herbs to cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Aren't the carrots so pretty?


His and hers plates.
A close up of the amazing vegetableness.


What's fun about this meal is that our main components were organic. I don't think we had ever had organic chicken before, and it was really quite a different taste than regular grocery store chicken. It seemed fresher, and it didn't dry out. It definitely costs way more than non-organic chicken, but it was fun to try.

We all need a little more interesting vegetables in our lives, don't ya think?

3 comments:

  1. I love greens now! Swiss chard and Kale are my favorites. It is amazing how great they taste with just come garlic and salt and pepper. When am I invited to dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come over tomorrow night! And bring me cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous of your meals. I can't wait to come try some!

    ReplyDelete